Greetings Nonprofit Advocates and Community Entrepreneurs!
The Bozeman-based Free Voice Media (FVM; www.freevoicemedia.org) is currently seeking to expand our Board of Directors and is looking for creative, passionate, and committed community leaders who are willing to roll up their sleeves and help us further our mission.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with our work, we are a 501(c)(3) organization that works regionally to engage and empower the public through investigative documentary film and media education programs. We do this work in order to spark action, improve lives and protect our democracy. We focus on important stories that are often overlooked or misrepresented by the media. Free Voice Media is a home for independent filmmakers who use investigative documentary as a vehicle to deepen our understanding of society through everyday human drama.
Please check out our website to learn a bit more about what we do. We're especially looking for friendly, team oriented individuals with fundraising and donor development skills, media experience, education background, and previous board experience who are willing to actively devote their time, energy and vision to our dynamic and growing organization. I have attached a pdf of our board member requirements so that you may become familiar with them before you consider applying. If a position on FVM's Board of Directors sounds like something that may interest you, please apply by sending us your CV and a one-page letter of interest highlighting your experience and the way(s) in which you feel you could contribute to the organization. These can be emailed to Greg Cairns at email@example.com. In the meantime, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. Thank you.
- Greg and the FVM team.
Expectations and Responsibilities of a Free Voice Media Board Member
1. Promote Free Voice Media's work and values to the community, represent the organization, and act as an ambassador.
2. Actively participate in assessing Free Voice Media and setting its long range strategic goals and annual objectives for achieving the organization's vision, mission, and purpose.
3. Act in accordance with the bylaws and policies, and understand that I am morally responsible, as a member of the board, for the health and well-being of the Free Voice Media.
4. Attend at least 75% of FVM’s board meetings (currently 3 per year).
5. Contribute a minimum of ten hours per month to the organization.
6. Volunteer at various local FVM events throughout the year.
7. Demonstrate leadership by adhering to the highest standards of ethical actions in decision-making.
8. Enhance the organization's public standing by promoting the organization's mission, accomplishments, and goals to the public.
9. Ensure that the appropriate organizational structures are in place to support mission and strategic plan; this includes bylaws, policies, and committees.
10. Provide proper financial oversight by assisting in the development of an annual budget and fundraising strategy, approving the budget, and ensuring that proper financial controls are in place.
11. Ensure fiscal responsibility for FVM and actively participate in one or more fundraising activities. These may include identifying and cultivating prospects, individual donors, undertaking special events and the like.
12. Demonstrate leadership by maintaining a regular financial contribution to FVM during board term that is personally significant. This may be a one-time donation, or a pledge to give a certain amount several times during the year.
13. Raise a minimum of $50 annually, an amount which I may donate from my own resources, or solicit from others.
14. Recruit and train board members, assess board performance, and ensure that individual board members fulfill their commitments.
15. Commit to at least one 2-year board term, with possibility of extension.
16. Act in the best interests of the organization, excuse myself from discussions and votes where I have a conflict of interest, and maintain confidentiality of all board meetings.